Nordic Point of View blog

Technically nordic sports...

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Heart Rate Monitor- necessary or not?

Autumn is coming, days are getting very short and weather isn't always perfect. It makes me a little sad, but I've got some time to think. Recently I recalled an inscription on my OW Premio 9 skis: "Nordic sports is a spirit. It's about doing the things you want and looking the way you want", which means pure freedom by skiing. I'm such a hypocrite- I thought. On every training I take my mobile phone with an application, that is supposed to measure a distance, time etc. Usually it doesn't work very well. GPS loses a connection or the phone goes insane. Then joy with skiing turns into anger with devices. That's why I consider buying a heart rate monitor. Do I really need this?

The most important is to precise, for what you need a heart rate monitor. If you are a pro skier and need all the data of your every training, it's obvious. But if you are an amateur and compete rarely, this device isn't necessary. Moreover, it costs near 110EUR, like for example Polar RS300X, which has got all needed functions.
Polar RS300X

I just wonder, why we need to check the watch or heart rate monitor every time when we train. It's the first step to become addicted, literally. We are only amateurs. And that's great. We don't need to inform our coach about everything. So we don't need the "smart coach" in Internet as well. We are free. However it's always interesting to watch our own progress. Thanks to heart rate monitor we can improve our efficiency and do this accurately. Especially, if you have a main goal, like participating in Marcialonga for example. Also, without this device we aren't able to do intervals. So, there are advantages and disadvantages. A heart rate transmiter with Bluetooth seams to be a golden mean. It has to be compatible with your smartphone and application, which you use. In this way you can save some money, because it costs near 70 EUR. But you should be careful. Endomondo Premium can be here an example. It has many great functions but you have to pay for it every month. In addition, today's smartphones don't last long time. In this case, a traditional heart rate monitor may be a better choice.

Polar transmiter with Bluetooth.
Another important thing is our comfort. We can't take our phone everywhere. It isn't comfortable to have it in a pocket. I know that there are many accessories such as armband case for smartphones. Recently it became very popular. But as I see, it's used mostly by people who just go out for their evening jogging and must demonstrate it on facebook. Personally I take my cell phone to the pocket in my OW thermo- drinking belt. And it's work for me because I don't like to wear anything on my arms. I don't even have a watch. Of course I don't take my drinking belt always and then I have to run without anything. And you know what? I like it. At least I don't hear annoying Endomondo voice. Yes, I know that I can turn it off but without it I can't presume if application works or not.

If I had to decide today, I wouldn't buy a heart rate monitor. I would rather spend this amount of money for some nice clothes by One Way. The new Endless Winter collection is out in stores. Meanwhile I'm going to stay by my Endomondo Pro but now I promise that I won't get angry, when GPS will lose a signal. Because skiing is about enjoying perfect conditions and "doing things you want".

No comments:

Post a Comment